Pour discuter de tout et de rien
Répondre
Storch156
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Aileron Rigging

Message par Storch156 »

Hello,
My Emeraude wants to turn left in cruising flight. Is there any instruction on how the set up the ailerons?
thank you,
Mark
Philippe Dejean
Pilote Professionnel
Pilote Professionnel

Re: Aileron Rigging

Message par Philippe Dejean »

Hello Mark,

I hope that Northern California is not too hardly hit by Covid 19.

Concerning your Emeraude, you should first determine if the origin of the problem is on the roll axis or the yaw axis (that would induce an effect on the roll axis)... or on both, that is not so unlikely.

The procedure is quite simple :

1/ In cruising flight, keep in a constant level and heading path using only pitch and yaw controls (i.e. apply the needed effort to the rudder but none to the ailerons)
If the wings stabilize level, this means that the problem is only on the yaw axis, and you can go to step 3/

2/ If the wings do not stabilize level, use one little aluminum plate as a fixed tab to the trailing edge of one aileron (or on both) and ajust gradually its folding angle in order to pass the step 1/ test

3/ In cruising flight, keep in a constant level and heading path using only pitch and roll controls (i.e. apply the needed effort to the stick, but none on the rudder pedals)
If the wings stabilize level, this means that the problem is solved (game over)

4/ If the wings do not stabilize level, use one little aluminum plate as a fixed tab to the trailing edge of the rudder and ajust gradually its folding angle in order to pass the step 3/ test

Of course, the problem can also be solved using other means than fixed tabs at the trailing edge of control surfaces. They are very efficient, but not very aesthetic.
All sorts of steel or rubber springs can be used to apply the necessary effort to the controls, but the effects is good on a reduced span of indicated speeds.

If you have further questions, please ask

Enjoy flying,

Philippe DEJEAN
Les fourmis sont des guêpes comme les autres !
vevere
Pilote Privé Train Classique
Pilote Privé Train Classique

Re: Aileron Rigging

Message par vevere »

Hi,

This can also be:
- a wheel/strut fairing not correctly aligned.
-> The excess drag from one side can act as a rudder input.
- a wing really heavier than the other (not common)
-> you can see that on your weight and balance chart (different weight for each main wheel) and add weight on the tip of the lighter one
- wing flaps small misalignment

Regards
Herve.
Répondre