Super Diamante

Répondre
seagull617
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Super Diamante

Message par seagull617 »

I have some questions please:

1 - Am I able to build the Super Diamante with a retractable tailwheel configuration? By this I mean that the main wheels would retract and the tailwheel would be fixed.

2 - I see that the Super Emeraude is offered with two choices of fin/rudder design, either straight or swept back - can I build the Super Diamante with the same choice of tail?

3 - If I build a Super Diamante with just a two-seat capability to give myself more leg room (I am 194 cms tall), would it be safe for limited aerobatics?

Thanks

Barry G
seagull617
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Re: Super Diamante

Message par seagull617 »

I apologise for being limited to just the English language, but it is all I know.

Does anybody have the answer(s) to my questions(s). Forgetting the question relating to retractable tailwheel Diamante, as this is not likely, but I am interested to know if the Super Diamante can be built with the upright fin/rudder instead of the swept tail, as is the choice for the Super Emeraude.

I was informed that this forum had all of the 'experts' for the Claude Piel designs. So far no responses for over a month.
Thanks

Barry
Jean-Claude Meunier
Pilote Privé
Pilote Privé

Message par Jean-Claude Meunier »

Hello Barry,

1. To build a retractable main gear on a tail wheel Diamant, you will have to design a whole new system as the wheels will have to fit in front of the spar as on the Saphir. Presonnal note: you will add weight, complexity, and not much speed compared to a well faired landing gear.

2. As the Emeraude used the straight tail, I guess it would be ok for the Diamant provided you have the same surface on side view as the Diamant.

3. Have you ever seated in a Diamant? If you do, you will notice you will have ample leg room without changing any thing. But depending on your shape, "may be" you wil need more head room.

Wish you best of luck with your project.

Jean-Claude
Jean-Claude Meunier
Québec, Canada
C-GUMM
seagull617
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Message par seagull617 »

Hi Jean-Claude,

Thank you for the reply. You are quite correct of course - a retractable is all of those things you mentioned plus just something else to go wrong (one day).

I think the straight tail would look much better on the Super Diamante, and as you say ... if I keep to the same shape/design as the Emeraude, and retain the same fin/rudder area as the swept tail it should be quite acceptable.

My reason for asking the question about operating the Diamante as a two seater only is that it would theoretically give plenty of room for two large adults, plus potential room for a good sized fuel tank behind the two seats and some decent baggage capacity, whilst keeping within C of G limits. This would result in a roomy 2-seat touring airplane with an excellent range.

My personal reason for this centres around having flown many types of light aircraft over the years and being cramped in most of them, especially in the leg room. And if I am going to build anything then I want to make sure it will fit me comfortably.

I have sat in both a standard Emeraude and a CAP 10. Both were tight and small for me. I don't think we have a Diamante flying in New Zealand so will not be able to try one for size.

Thanks Barry
Jean-Claude Meunier
Pilote Privé
Pilote Privé

Message par Jean-Claude Meunier »

Hi Barry,

Did you begin the construction of your Super Diamant?

Have a look at this website .. inspiring...(also a tall builder): http://www.southernaviationservice.com/ ... iamant.htm

You could also check the Yahoo Emerauders Group website: http://asia.groups.yahoo.com/group/Emerauders/
There is quite a lot of information available in English, mostly about the Emeraude but also the others Mr Piel’s designs.

Hope you are building…

Regards
Jean-Claude Meunier
Québec, Canada
C-GUMM
Répondre