Greetings - from New Zealand

Répondre
seagull617
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Greetings - from New Zealand

Message par seagull617 »

Hi Everyone,

Please excuse my lack of French - as English is the only language I know.

I am interested in purchasing or building a Super Emeraude (I would really love a CAP 10 but am not a millionaire).

The CP320 appeals to me as it is OK for the Lycoming 0-320 of 150 hp. Also it seems to be aerobatic.

My question is 'How aerobatic'? Is it limited to just loops, rolls, simple manouevres?, or is it cleared for inverted flight?

Also are there plans available to make it stronger (similar to a CAP 10 capability?).

I would build a Beryl but for the tandem seating (I prefer side-by-side seats - more friendly.)

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you,

Barry
Philippe Dejean
Pilote Professionnel
Pilote Professionnel

Re: Greetings - from New Zealand

Message par Philippe Dejean »

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the CP lover's website.
Not so much questions, just a few in fact.

The CP320 "Super Emeraude" shares a common 2 seater ancestor (the CP301A "Emeraude") with the CAP10 but it is not aerobatic. Its handling is similar but it's load factors are only +3.8G/-1.52G at a mass of 700 kg and +4.4G/-1.76G at a mass of 660 kg.
You can also sea on pictures that the rudder of the CAP10 is much larger than the one of the CP320 to make the recovering faster from spin.

The only two fully aerobatic Piel aircraft are :

1/ The CP750 "Béryl", as least as efficient as the CAP10 for aerobatics, but in tandem configuration... :bye2:

2/ The CP1320 "Saphir"
This 2/3 seater is derived fron two former CP's
- The CP80 (single seater - F1 racer)
- The CP100 (prototype of the CAP10)

Even if this doesn't show off, the CP1320 shares the wing structure of the CAP10, and is fully aerobatic. :clapping:
It's load factors are +6G/-3G at a mass of 700 kg and still +4.4G/-1.76G at a mass of 870 kg.

Most of amateur builders are not aerobatic pilot, :captain: and they consider their CP1320 as a super CP320 (1 extra seat, faster, more payload, retractible undercarriage, etc...) but not as an aerobatic airplane, even if it is one. :dizzy:

But in a fixed undercarriage configuration (and without any fancy or heavy personal addings) with a lycoming IO-320 or IO-360, it would be as efficient as the CAP10 for aerobatics, in a side-by-side configuration... With a third seat or extra baggage payload for level flight as bonuses.
The plans of the the CP1320 are available both in french or in english... :thumbup:

But, if your dream is really to build a CAP10 and nothing else, you should know that a few CAP10B are amateur built. (like the F-PYPK ; in France the letters F-P*** are given to amateur built airplanes)
It should still be possible to buy the plans, but I don't know who sells them know. :angel_not:

Bons vols :avion:

Philippe Dejean
Les fourmis sont des guêpes comme les autres !
seagull617
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Message par seagull617 »

Thank you for the quick response Philippe,

You have given me a good perspective on the way to continue.

My first option will be to try and locate a set of plans for the CAP 10.

If this fails, then - no matter, my second choice will be for a Super Emeraude CP320 with the 150hp Lycoming.

I still think that the Emeraude is better looking than the Saphir, so will stay with this design.

Do you have any contact details for the owners/builders of the homebuilt CAP 10's please?

Thank you again,

Barry
Philippe Dejean
Pilote Professionnel
Pilote Professionnel

Hi Barry,

Here is the list of the french CAP10 registered as amateur build (F-P***)
CAP10 F-PXKE
CAP10 F-PYIF
CAP10 F-PYTU
CAP10 F-PCAP
Capdol F-PDOL (The CAPDOL is a modified CAP10B with 200HP instead of 180HP engine built by the airclub of Dole - Jura, France)
AJBS10 F-PZLD (The AJBS10 is a modified CAP10B with a CAP20 wing - no dihedral - made by the Amicale Jean Baptiste Salis - They usually repair or rebuild old airplanes and fly them in Cerny, south of Paris)

That does not mean that they are completely amateur built (very often, the main beam of the wing structure (spar boom?) vas manufactured by the "Avions Mudry"), but a major part has to be amateur built.
That does not mean either that those aircrafts are the only amateur built CAP10, there should be some others in other countries...

You should find son interesting information here :

http://deltaecho.free.fr/cap10/index.htm

The webmaster should be able to help you, and there are even some plans to download...

Bons Vols

Philippe Dejean
seagull617
Formation Théorique
Formation Théorique

Message par seagull617 »

Hi Philippe,

Thank you again for your quick response. I have contacted the Webmaster at the DeltaEcho website so will let you know my success.

Yes, I would prefer to puchase a complete aircraft to fly, but am not scared of building my own or even finishing off somebody else's project if they want to sell partly'built. Do people advertise their projects for sale anywhere on the internet?

Many years ago I built a set of wings for a Pitts S1 and assisted in a few classic aircraft restoration projects so I am no stranger to the frustration and hard work.

Thanks again,

Barry
Philippe Dejean
Pilote Professionnel
Pilote Professionnel

Hi Barry,

The french amateur builders generally do advertise their projects for sale on

http://foxpapa.com/

(the name of this site is directly inspired of the registration letters reserved in France for amateur built airplanes)

Found on the net :
The Mudry CAP 10 is a two-seat training aerobatic aircraft first built in 1970 and still in production in 2007. The plane was developed from the Piel Super Emeraude and was born as the CP100. The name changed to CAP 10, CAP for 'Constructions Aéronautiques Parisiennes'. The CAP 10 was manufactured by Mudry (name of its designer) in Bernay, France, bought by CAP Industries which then became Apex Aircraft. Following the bankruptcy of Apex in 2008, rights to produce spares were awarded to Dyn'Aviation.

Official site :
http://www.aerodif.fr/en/index.html

Also found on the net:
The technical documentation brings together all the pieces necessary for the proper maintenance and proper use of CAP aircraft range, for which Dyn'Aviation is the type certificate holder.
To comply with the regulations, we propose:

- All flight manuals
- Maintenance manuals and maintenance schedule
- All the SB/SL / Instruction Service
- Parts catalogs.

LS 990813 is listing all available documents.
We are aware that the documentation needs to be improved. We will do our best in order for you to use this documentation and thus your aircraft in the most simple and enjoyable way.
But for this your feedback will be useful.
Feel free to contact us at docs@dynaircraft.com

Bons vols

Philippe Dejean
Répondre